Company limited by guarantee no. 741080, charity no. 1139239
But just how well do you know Nether Edge ?
- Who were the ‘thimble ring and mallet scoundrels’ and why were the Nether Edge residents of the 1840’s so wary of them ?
- Who wore ‘long blue coats ‘ and suffered catcalls and jeers as a result ?
- What pioneering Victorian photographer, based in Nether Edge, famously captured a a national disaster on film ?
- What late Victorian national mania resulted in a Club being founded at the bottom of Rundle Road ?
- In the First World war, what Nether Edge house became a receiving base for refugees and from which country did they come ?
Answers to these and more in 'Aspects of Nether Edge', the new book written by members of the History Group and available for only £11.95. Copies available from Wickwire, Nether Edge Rd or by contacting email@example.com.
Nether Edge is the home of Nether Edge Neighbourhood Group (NENG) and the quarterly Nether Edge Farmers Market. Click HERE to join NENG and receive the monthly EDGE magazine. Click HERE to see a short video of a recent market or join us on 3 December for this Christmas' market.
Situated in the South West Sheffield, the area is a vibrant and diverse community, stretching from Psalter Lane to Abbeydale Road and from Brincliffe Edge to Sharrow Lane. It includes the Nether Edge Conservation area, Chelsea Park and at its heart the local shopping centre of Nether Edge. There's always lots going on but September's turning into a particularly busy month. In 2016 it featured the well-loved Nether Edge Farmers' Market (Sunday 18th), the second Nether Edge Festival (16th - 25th) and the third Nether Edge Yard Sale. November also saw the annual 72nd St Andrews Scouts group bonfire and fireworks event in Chelsea Park.
Within Nether Edge boundaries you will find a host of welcoming places for people of all faiths, the Salvation Army, the Synagogue, the Kings Centre, St Andrews Church and Common Ground. The Jamia Masjid and Usmania Education Centre, is nearby at Leyburn Road.Nether Edge Neighbourhood Group has been active since 1973 and co-ordinates activities to explore and enhance our area and our community. Click here for examples of what's been done recently and how you can get involved or contact us directly.
Application forms for stalls at future Farmers' market is available for download here or from the Market Facebook page.
Take a look at the Nether Edge Farmer's Market Facebook page for more news